The following are Terms and Conditions of access to and use of the Virtual Observatory for the Study of Online Networks, hereafter "VOSON". The terms are between Uberlink Corporation (hereafter "Uberlink, we, ours") and the user (hereafter “you, yours”) who is being granted privileges allowing the creation of new web crawl (hereafter “www-hyperlink”) datasets, the creation of new social-media datasets, the addition of new seed URLs into existing web crawl datasets, and the analysis of said datasets using VOSON.
These Terms and Conditions are important because running VOSON involves resources relating to bandwidth, server running costs and costs of personnel required to maintain and develop VOSON. The creation and analysis of new VOSON datasets may also entail significant time being spent by you (e.g. identification of seed URLs, categorisation of sites, creation of social-media search filters etc.), and so you have a right to know under what conditions you are obtaining access to VOSON.
1. VOSON is provided on an "as is" basis. Uberlink hereby disclaims all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Uberlink makes no warranty that VOSON is or will be error free or that access will be continuous or uninterrupted. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, VOSON at your own discretion and risk.
2. We will determine the appropriateness of any suggested seed URL (e.g. relevance to the proposed research topic) before it is crawled.
3. For users with access to social-media collection and analysis services (such as the ‘VOSON+Twitter’ service), you are responsible for the search criteria you supply for collection. Uberlink is not responsible for any social media content that matches search criteria provided by you, or for the search criteria themselves, which are your sole responsibility.
4.You will be given advance warning of a planned termination of access to VOSON and will have an opportunity to download any data you may have collected (for example, for analysis with third-party tools). Cancelling a paid subscription Tier will prevent a subscription from renewing the following subscription interval (the following month or year, depending upon the subscription type). Upgrading a paid subscription Tier refund the prorated (unused) portion of the old subscription to you. Single Plans and VAU Packs are non-refundable.
5. While we will undertake to backup the data you collect using VOSON, we make no guarantees on the backup. You are expected to take responsibility for backing up your data by downloading from VOSON on a periodic basis.
6. We will attempt to fix bugs in a timely fashion, provide up-to-date and useful documentation and respond to your queries (either via the forum or by e-mail, depending upon the subscription Tier) regarding the software. However, we make no guarantees as to the level of help we can or may provide users.
7. There is no guarantee on how long data collection (web crawling or social-media collection) may take.
8. All approved new user accounts are offered a Free Tier subscription to VOSON, free of charge. This Tier is suitable for small www-hyperlink projects. For more substantial projects, one of the two paid subscription or single plan Tiers, Professional or Premium, may be more appropriate. A Professional or Premium paid Tier is required for social-media (e.g. ‘VOSON+Twitter’) projects. Please consult the
pricing page for a comparison between Tiers, and to select a paid subscription level or single plan.
9. We reserve the right to use any of the data that you collect, for publishing details on the usage of VOSON or for research purposes, or to help improve and optimise VOSON. These data may be part of constructed "meta datasets" that encompass the web crawls and/or social-media collections that users have conducted. We may also be interested in studying what topics people are using VOSON for. It is thus possible that a
Free Tier user's VOSON data may be visible to other users via the construction of meta datasets. From meta datasets it may be possible for other users of VOSON to see what sites have been crawled and the categorisation schemes a Free Tier user has developed for their project. If you would prefer not to share your data in this way, then you may select a Professional or Premium Tier paid subscription or single plan. For such paid Tiers, all data collected and analysed are private to you and Uberlink.
10. We reserve the right to revoke access rights to VOSON from any user who is using the software in a manner that is deemed inappropriate.
11. VOSON may be used for educational purposes, for example in a classroom or seminar environment. However, please note that
Free Tier subscriptions may not be used in the classroom or for educational use--at least a Professional Tier subscription (for each seat) is required. For educational use there is a substantial discount! Please contact Uberlink at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions regarding the use and pricing of VOSON in the classroom, and consult our ’Teaching with VOSON’ page for more information.
12. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless Uberlink, its respective directors, officers, employees and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys’ fees, arising out of your use of VOSON, including but not limited to your violation of these Terms and Conditions.
13. NOTE THAT UBERLINK IS NOT A REPOSITORY, RESELLER OR RESYNDICATOR OF TWEET CONTENT AND ANY ATTEMPT TO REVERSE ENGINEER TWITTER NETWORK INFORMATION GENERATED BY VOSON FOR THE PURPOSES OF STORING, RESELLING OR RESYNDICATING TWEET CONTENT IS EXPRESSELY PROHIBITED. FOR FURTHER INFORMATION SEE E.G. THE TWITTER TERMS OF SERVICE (
http://twitter.com/tos) AND DEVELOPER POLICY ( https://dev.twitter.com/overview/terms/agreement-and-policy).
Accept Terms & Conditions of Use *